Friday, August 26, 2011

Kitchen Color Pop


Living in Military housing has its ups and downs.  Here the kitchen is entirely tiled - nice - but no walls to add color with.  Since I don't spend lots of time in there (the room is very closed off feeling).  I wanted to add a pop of my kitchen colors without spending lots of time or money.  So this idea might not be new, but inspiration hit - so I thought I would share...

This would be a fun idea for a wedding gift, find a thrifted knife block or buy a new one and make it theirs.  This project didn't cost anything, I had everything on hand.

You will need:
Knife block
Sandpaper
Paint (brush - maybe)
Clear Coat
Monogram (vinyl or a stencil and paint)

1.  First use fine sandpaper, the finer the better (higher number grit), and roughen up you knife block.  This will let you paint without having strip the existing finish.


2.  Use a slightly damp rag and wipe the block down.  You want it clean before you paint.


3.  Grab your paint and paint.  I originally started with spray paint, but color selection here is not too great.  I switched later that night to craft paint and a sponge brush.  Then apply a clear coat to protect your paint from all those knife blades.


4.  Apply your vinyl monogram or use a stencil and paint it on (use clear coat to seal your paint).  Then put your knives in and love the new color in your kitchen.


1 comment:

Jen said...

I love it! I don't know if Mike would let me do this to our knife block because he adores his fancy knives and probably wouldn't let me "girl" them up. Our kitchen, too, is in a state of my dis-satisfaction. I don't know if it's worth trying to do anything to it though.